"Our goals in Future FC right now are to qualify for the tournaments we set out to qualify for. Then we can start thinking about winning them"
Our 17-year old FIFA talent Roee Feldman recently became the champion of the Israel Country Cup. Now, he reflects on his run through the tournament and what it takes to become the best in the World.
- I really wanted to win the Israel Country Cup. It Future FC's chance to claim 200 Global Points, a critical amount if you want to rise in the World Rankings. But I know the way to win a tournament is one game at a time. So I had to stop thinking about the prize and just focus on the ball.
- The first few games were not that hard, but I also played it safe and with full focus because I never underestimate my opponents. I managed to reach the Grand Final were the last challenge of the tournament awaited. The other finalist was quite a lot better than anyone else I beat at the tournament and had a very good squad. I missed six or seven golden opportunities to score and it all came down to a penalty shoot-out.
"I kept telling myself that the game wasn't over. That him being ahead in the game didn't make him the winner"
- I had a terrible start to the penalty shoot-out. He was up 3-0. All he needed to do was score or save one more and that would have been the end for me in the Cup. But I kept telling myself that the game wasn't over. That him being ahead in the game didn't make him the winner.
- I proceeded to save five goals in a row and score four. I won the game and I was so relieved and happy that I believed in myself in the face of what looked like certain defeat. I'm happy to come out on top in my own region and I want to be the best in the world but that takes time.
"We keep raising the bar. If you can do that consistently, the ultimate goal of becoming the best in the world will follow."
- All pro player's dream is to become the best in the world. Of course, it's mine too. But you don't just become the best. You have to qualify. Qualify for tournaments, big and small. Know your own level and set realistic goals. Our goals in Future FC right now are to qualify for the tournaments we set out to qualify for. Then we can start thinking about winning them. We've done that multiple times already and we keep raising the bar. If you can do that consistently, the ultimate goal of becoming the best in the world will follow.